Monday, October 26, 2009

Taxi No 5170-Revisiting history


My internship started on the 20th of October this year in Delhi. I am really not used to roaming around Delhi on my own. Working with a new wire service for just a couple of days taught me the importance of doing just that. A good way to lose those few (uh um) extra pounds. One such assignment took me back to Red Fort, a historical bonanza of Delhi, which I had visited once, a decade earlier, on a school picnic (ahhhh....the long lost times).

A taxi was sent as my mode of transportation for the day. Around 2 in the afternoon my adventure began. R.K. Puram to Red Fort is a long way, taking some 45 minutes one way. So i had a long time to take a look at what were the other landmarks of Delhi that we passed on the way. First on the way came Hotel Taj Mahal, one of the oldest in the city. I could see glimpses of an amazing infrastructure through a lush green curtain of trees and bushes planted all around the hotel.
Next on the drive came the majestic India Gate. Built to honour the freedom fighters of our country, the India Gate stands as tall as ever and still attracts people from all over the country for a customary visit. Though this landmark is said to be at its visual best at night when it's all lighted up, even at day it was easy to make out why this monument demands the respect of every India even after 60 years of Independence. We also passed the Parliament House but by then I was late for the event that I had to cover so did not have the time to marvel at that structure.
My first glimpse at the Red Fort took my breath away. Majesctic to say the least, the massive red stone structure draws awe from everyone who looks upon it. All I had the time for was to take a quick tour around the Fort. Seeing the legendary Diwan-i-aam somehow brought to my mind the scene from Jodha Akbar (YES, I noticed something else besides Hrithik in the film, get over it...:P).

However, I had very little time to actually take in the splendour of the monument. All I could take in was the sandstone structure from far. Soon after a sprinkling of white t shirts indicated the beginning of the event I had actually gone to cover. Covered extensively by the media, it was a climate change drive where a giant human 5 formation was being formed at the Red Fot representing '350', the actualy level of carbon that should be present in the atmosphere as opposed to '390' parts per million which is present today. The enthusiasm of students was amazing to witness.

Soon it was time to go back to the office and file my story. Unfortunately, the historical Red Fort would feature almost nowhere in my report. I came out from the majestic gates of the Fort and headed towards my taxi. On the way back I passed the Parliament Houe and realizd the contrast that both the buildings presented. The former was a representation of the time when Mughals ruled over our country and the latter stood as a mark of democratic India. That day I realized every trip had something special in it. It is up to us to realize the importance and appreciate it accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment